File(s) under permanent embargo
Does tobacco-control mass media campaign exposure prevent relapse among recent quitters?
journal contributionposted on 01.02.2013, 00:00 authored by M A Wakefield, S J Bowe, S J Durkin, Hua YongHua Yong, M J Spittal, J A Simpson, R Borland
OBJECTIVE: To determine whether greater mass media campaign exposure may assist recent quitters to avoid relapse. METHOD: Using date of data collection and postcode, media market estimates of televised tobacco-control advertising exposure measured by gross ratings points (GRPs) were merged with a replenished cohort study of 443 Australians who had quit in the past year. Participants' demographic and smoking characteristics prior to quitting, and advertising exposure in the period after quitting, were used to predict relapse 1 year later. RESULTS: In multivariate analysis, each increase in exposure of 100 GRPs (i.e., 1 anti-smoking advertisement) in the three-month period after the baseline quit was associated with a 5% increase in the odds of not smoking at follow-up (OR = 1.05, 95% CI 1.02-1.07, p < 0.001). This relationship was linear and unmodified by length of time quit prior to the baseline interview. At the mean value of 1081 GRPs in the 3 months after the baseline-quit interview, the predicted probability of being quit at follow-up was 52%, whereas it was 41% for the minimum (0) and 74% for the maximum (3,541) GRPs. CONCLUSION: Greater exposure to tobacco-control mass media campaigns may reduce the likelihood of relapse among recent quitters.
JournalNicotine & tobacco research
Pagination385 - 392
Publication classificationC Journal article; C1.1 Refereed article in a scholarly journal
Copyright notice2012, The Authors
Read the peer-reviewed publication
AdolescentAdultAdvertising as TopicAustraliaCohort StudiesFemaleHumansLongitudinal StudiesMaleMass MediaMiddle AgedMultivariate AnalysisPersuasive CommunicationRecurrenceSmoking CessationYoung AdultScience & TechnologyLife Sciences & BiomedicineSubstance AbusePublic, Environmental & Occupational Health4 COUNTRY SURVEYGENERALIZED LINEAR-MODELSSMOKING-CESSATIONADULT SMOKERSCIGARETTESABSTINENCECOHORT