Deakin University
Browse

File(s) under permanent embargo

Socioeconomic aspects of small-scale freshwater prawn marketing systems in Mymensingh, Bangladesh

journal contribution
posted on 2007-10-01, 00:00 authored by Nesar Ahmed, Faisal Ahammed, Catherine Lecouffe
An investigation was carried out in Mymensingh region of Bangladesh to understand current practices of freshwater prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii) marketing systems. Prawn marketing is almost exclusively maintained by the private sector, where the livelihoods of a considerable number of people are associated with prawn distribution and marketing systems. The market chain from producers to consumers passes through a number of intermediaries. The prawn is a highly valued product in international markets; most of the prawns (60%) are therefore exported, particularly to the USA, Japan and Europe. The rest (40%) of the under-sized prawns are sold to local markets in Mymensingh. The price of prawn depends on quality, size and weight, and grade. In spite of marketing constraints, livelihood outcomes are positive and most of the households of traders (75%) have improved their social and economic conditions through prawn marketing activities. However, concerns arise about the long-term sustainability of prawn marketing due to poor road and transport facilities, inadequate supply of ice, lack of money and credit facilities, and poor market infrastructure. It is therefore necessary to provide institutional, organizational, and government support for a sustainable prawn market.

History

Journal

Aquaculture Economics and Management

Volume

11

Issue

4

Pagination

335 - 353

Publisher

Taylor & Francis

Location

Abingdon

ISSN

1365-7305

eISSN

1551-8663

Language

eng

Publication classification

C1 Refereed article in a scholarly journal

Copyright notice

2007, IAAEM

Usage metrics

    Research Publications

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC