File(s) not publicly available
Systematic reviews examining implementation of research into practice and impact on population health are needed
journal contributionposted on 2023-02-07, 01:25 authored by Serene YoongSerene Yoong, T Clinton-Mcharg, L Wolfenden
Objectives To examine the research translation phase focus (T1-T4) of systematic reviews published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR) and Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects (DARE). Briefly, T1 includes reviews of basic science experiments; T2 includes reviews of human trials leading to guideline development; T3 includes reviews examining how to move guidelines into policy and practice; and T4 includes reviews describing the impact of changing health practices on population outcomes. Study Design and Setting A cross-sectional audit of randomly selected reviews from CDSR (n = 500) and DARE (n = 500) was undertaken. The research translation phase of reviews, overall and by communicable disease, noncommunicable disease, and injury subgroups, were coded by two researchers. Results A total of 898 reviews examined a communicable, noncommunicable, or injury-related condition. Of those, 98% of reviews within CDSR focused on T2, and the remaining 2% focused on T3. In DARE, 88% focused on T2, 8.7% focused on T1, 2.5% focused on T3, and 1.3% focused on T4. Almost all reviews examining communicable (CDSR 100%, DARE 93%), noncommunicable (CDSR 98%, DARE 87%), and injury (CDSR 95%, DARE 88%) were also T2 focused. Conclusion Few reviews exist to guide practitioners and policy makers with implementing evidence-based treatments or programs.
CategoriesNo categories selected
BibliographicDatabasesKnowledge translationPolicySystematic reviewTranslational researchCross-Sectional StudiesDatabases, FactualDiffusion of InnovationEvidence-Based PracticeHealth Impact AssessmentHealth Plan ImplementationHealth Services Needs and DemandHealth Services ResearchHumansPolicy MakingPublic Health AdministrationReview Literature as TopicTranslational Research, Biomedical3 Good Health and Well BeingMathematical SciencesMedical and Health Sciences