Deakin University

File(s) under permanent embargo

Norming and Validation of the Level of Service/Case Management Inventory (LS/CMI)

Version 2 2024-06-17, 14:20
Version 1 2015-05-28, 14:37
posted on 2024-06-17, 14:20 authored by SN Casey, A Day
This study provides the descriptive statistics for male and female offenders which will constitute a local (Singaporean) validation of the LS/CMI. The mean age of the full cohort (n = 1,263) on admission was 38.30 years (SD = 10.19) and ranged from 17 to 74 years (Md = 38 and Mo = 35 indicating a close to normal distribution in the sample). The the greatest proportion of crimes for which offenders were incarcerated related to drug offences (n = 816; 64.6%), with the remaining 35.4% constituting one of eight other major crime categories (e.g., crimes against the person, commercial crimes, public order crimes, customs offences, immigration offences, traffic offences, property offences). With respect to drug-related offences which constituted the greatest proportion of crimes overall, the majority of these (n = 577; 70.71%) involved consumption, with the next largest category being the more severe offence of trafficking (n = 162; 19.85%).Sentence length ranged from 265 days to 7,488 days (M = 1,840.92, SD = 918.46; Median = 1,979 days; Mode = 1,826 days). In terms of risk distributions, the male cohort is markedly different to both the US and Canadian comparison profiles and while this may be a product of the small sample size in the Singapore sample (representing 7.5% of the total size of the US sample and 5% of the total Canadian sample) it nonetheless highlights the need for local validation. For example, whereas the percentage of cases in the combined Low and Very Low band (5.3%) falls mid-way between that of the US (2.2%) and Canada (10.2%), the most striking difference is the proportion of prisoners who scored in the Medium range (53.8%), which is almost twice that of the Canadian sample (28.3%) and nearly 3.5 times higher than the US sample (15.6%). While ratings were similar across the High category, the number of Singapore prisoners who scored in the Very High range was substantially lower (1.6%) than either the US (39.5%) and Canada (21.1%). Differences across jurisdictions may be a function of the legal systems and sentencing practices or simply an artefact of the sample that has been recruited thus far.






Research statement

No research statement

Publication classification

A6.1 Research report/technical paper


Deakin University

Place of publication

Geelong, Vic.

Usage metrics

    Research Publications


    No categories selected


    Ref. manager